Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The North Cascades!


We finally got to take our camping trip! We went to North Cascades Natl. Park, and got to see mountains, glaciers, lakes, river, waterfalls.




Lots of cool bridges.


Saturday was a really HOT day, so we went for a swim in a really COLD lake. ("Mom, why does this water hurt?").




My favorite part was the water - the lake was so green! Not like mucky green, but like tropical water in the mountains. We read that the color comes from something called glacier flower. And it was so clear! The river had the clearest water we've ever seen - you could see all the rocks and river bottom, even from a distance. John's favorite was the mountains, Olivia liked her purple sleeping bag, Jackson liked the bird that kept stealing food off our picnic table, and Katelyn liked getting back home where she had a floor to roll around on again.


Notice the difference in how Katelyn looks and what I look like after camping for two days.

The last time we tried to go camping, we ended up packing up and driving home in the middle of the night - something about neighboring campers not liking our kid crying & crying to go home and sleep in her own bed. This time, the camping trip included 2 nights, and 3 kids. We've come a long way in the realm of camping!

12 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Love the beautiful pictures-especially the first one. Amazing the beauty that God has provided us with. You are a trooper....camping with 3 kids has got to be hard!

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog. Keep up the good work!

Laurie said...

So fun! Having grown up in Washington, I'm LOVING these pictures! Serious props for camping with 3! There's just so much extra gear with little ones!

Stacy LeFevre said...

Hey cousin. That place looks beautiful! We still have not taken Lincoln camping, but we are tryign to get something planned for when it is a little cooler. I am so excited to be able to keep up with what you guys are doing. We are at thefevs.blogspot.com

Mindy said...

Wow! It looks beautiful. What a great time. I found your blog through another old Milwaukee friend so I have a little catching up to do. It's great seeing you here! :) Mindy

WendyJ said...

You'll have to let us know where you stayed there. It looks absolutely beautiful. Hope you had a good camping experience.

Darin and Kerri Elam said...

We went hiking a few days ago, and I was excited to see just a tiny bit of water and some plants that aren't cactus. Wish we could go where you went--it's so pretty! Oh well, I guess AZ has a beauty all it's own, right?

Laurel Criddle said...

That is BEAUTIFUL! Camping is so much fun! Your kids are so big!! I feel like I haven't seen you in a while!

Belkycita said...

I can't believe you camp for 3 days with 3 kids!
You are one adventures amazing mom.

abby o said...

lucky. Why can't we live by the north cascades? alright, I'll stop being bitter and just be excited you got to go..way to get out there with the kids in tow.

abby o said...

oh, and by the way, I vividly remember that "last camping trip": the one my son went home with 2 black eyes from being run over on a skateboard by his pregnant mother. Long live the camping trip.

Cailean said...

I just LOVE how cute Olivia is wearing a skirt while camping! I'm sure my girls would do the same too :) What a great trip!