Thursday, September 25, 2008

Remembering the Moments

My favorite conference talk (and probably the favorite of about every other LDS mother) is this one by M. Russell Ballard. Here's a quote from it, but you can use the link if you want to go back and read the whole talk.

"I am impressed by countless mothers who have learned how important it is to
focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life. If a
child lives with parents for 18 or 19 years, that span is only one-fourth of a
parent’s life. And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s
life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life. It is crucial to
focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with
the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes. This
eternally important work falls to mothers and fathers as equal partners. I am
grateful that today many fathers are more involved in the lives of their
children. But I believe that the instincts and the intense nurturing involvement
of mothers with their children will always be a major key to their well-being.
In the words of the proclamation on the family, “Mothers are primarily
responsible for the nurture of their children” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Liahona, Oct. 2004,
49; Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102).
Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard
times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments
of joy and satisfaction."

There is a mechanical horse at the Fred Meyer's where I do must of my grocery shopping. Sometimes the kids would ask if they could ride it, and I would say "no, not today." I just wanted to get home (remember, this is how my store trips are) or didn't have quarters, or thought if I let them this time, they would want to do it every time, etc. I saw one day that it was only $.25, and thought I should let them ride it sometime, maybe on a special occasion. I don't know what type of special occasion I thought would come - FHE at Fred Meyer's? Or Nana's here so let's go to the store? So the other day, we rode the horse. It turned another grocery trip into a special outing for them. It wasn't so amazing that they want to do it every time, but just sometimes. It was one of those little things that they're excited to tell Dad about when he gets home. Lesson learned, use those quarters before they're too big to ride that silly horse! What better way is there to spend $.25 than to see those big smiles.
Lately I've realized even more how fast they grow (I know, I already said that when I posted about kindergarten starting, and also watching a third baby get big so fast), and thinking of the quote "live in the moment, or the moments will pass you by." It doesn't always have to be big things, but the small things each day with these little ones that we'll remember, and hopefully they will, too!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Thanks for sharing Larissa. I had the same moment at the zoo the other day. The girls asked if they could ride the train, and my knee-jerk reaction was no. But really, why not? Am I that intent on teaching my children about fiscal restraint and the good ol' we-can't-always-have-what-we-want-and-should-just-be-happy-with-what-we-have lesson that I can't spend two dollars and ten minutes to ride the train? Well, we did end up riding the train, and we sang and screamed and made train sounds, and guess what the highlight of our week was?

Cailean said...

I just love your tie-in with the horse because we often pass it and the answer is "no" but usually because someone is standing RIGHT THERE smoking next to it or all my quarters have gone to the Elizabeth Milk Fund. Thanks for this reminder to keep extra quarters for things like that. You're a great example!

SJ said...

Thanks for you post. I was just talking to my friend about his talk today.

Andrea said...

Hey, so we totally miss the FM Horse. I don't think my kids know that it moves. Despite my cheapness I still tried to make a "moment".

The kids would climb up and I would call the race like they were in the Kentucky Derby and they were each a jockey.

Some people passing by thought it was goofy and others pathetic. I once had an old man hand me a quarter. Oh well!

I am proud of you for finding something that brings joy to your kids.