Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kindergartener!


Kindergarten Day #1:
Olivia had a wonderful day. She is doing half-day, but they said she can still stay for lunch, which is exactly what she wanted. She picked her favorite new shirt, and explained that maybe she would wear some other pants that match another day, but for the first day she could only wear pink. And purple socks and blue shoes.
"Mom, I made a friend! I played with her at recess and then we sat together at lunch! And I met a FIRST GRADER! She showed me around the school."
Summary: We're going to make it just fine - this is going to be a great year!


What got me most at the drop-off was when Jackson got really sad as her class was walking away, saying, "I forgot to say bye to her!" It made me want to cry along with him, but I didn't.(Well maybe a little, but not until after bedtime that night).

Olivia excited to come home and see her sister.

Kindergarten Day #2:
She is the only one in her class that goes home at half-day. Her class size is huge - 28 kids! And, her kindergarten teacher is now sporting a nose ring.
"That girl that was going to be my friend doesn't want to play with me. She says she doesn't want to be my friend because she's 5 1/2 and I'm only 5. So now I don't have a friend."
Summary: Oh no! Are we going to make it? Should we move?


Olivia and her teacher at back-to-school night.
I found out the hard part wasn't really having her gone, but just not being able to be there if she needed me. What if she was scared or needed help with something or got hurt 0r anything. We want our kids to be independent, learn through experience, blah, blah, blah. But still! There's that part of me that wants to protect them, or at least be able to be there to hug/comfort them after the stubbed toes or hurt feelings - or punch in the nose any girl who isn't nice to her! (That probably wouldn't go over so well once she's in junior high).
But I also must say any worries about her needing me are unfounded - "kindergarten is the best thing ever" and of course she doesn't even look back when we drop her off. And yes, I know there will be plenty more of the "I'm not your friend anymore" drama to come. Okay. Enough of that.



7 comments:

Cailean said...

I'm so glad to see photos! She looks SO much older with that ponytail! It reminds me so much of Elizabeth's first day. She never wore a ponytail but then wanted to on the first day as if to add insult to injury so she'd look even older and make me even more sad she was growing up. I hope you keep posting about her Kindergarten experience. She is so cute!

Mindy said...

I love that first picture--Happier than happy to be going to school. There's so much excitement in her face.

Sarah said...

I didn't cry when i took Baden to Kindergarten for the first time until Brooklyn starting sobbing as we were going to the van saying, "I'm going to miss Baden." The tears immediately started to flow and I told her I would too. But now they are in 2nd and 1st grade and while I still get a little sad when they start school, they think they are completely independent and oh so cool.

Belkycita said...

A nose ring? seriously where did all the be an example thing go!
She looks so grown up in those pictures and super cute!!

Michelle Price said...

I hope days 3, 4, and all the rest are a little better than day 2! Does Olivia want a nose ring yet?

Larissa said...

She probably does, so her nose can be fancy, too.

Darin and Kerri Elam said...

Cute girl! Tell her to keep trying in the friends department. After the first day of kindergarten, I asked Madison if she had made any friends. She said, "I saw a couple, but I didn't make the deal yet." Then at her new school, she once told me that she asked every kid in her class if they wanted to be her friend and they all said no. But she seems to have plenty of friends, so I guess it turned out okay.