Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Next weekend (23rd), my sister is graduating from Weber State in Utah. And I want to be there! My plan was to fly down for the weekend, leaving John here with the kids. Then, we found out he is going to D.C. that weekend for a conference, and won't be back until Saturday - a day too late for me to go. Still determined, I just changed the plan - I'll drive down. Just me and the kids, 12 hours, and 12 hours back. Driving to Ogden from Seattle is do-able. But by myself with 3 kids, and trying to make it a quick trip so as not to miss too much school, might be a little trickier. Now I found out Olivia has her school's annual "walk-a-thon" that same day, plus she'd miss a t-ball game, and at least 3 days of school . . . I don't feel like I can take her. But how can I leave her? I thought about seeing if I could find some charitable person to keep her until John's back (don't worry, I'm not asking for a volunteer) - but that still leaves me with two more than we could buy a plane ticket for, so I'd still have to drive . . . making it longer that I would have to leave her for . . . Can't I just be in two places at once?

Oh, how nice it will be to be done with residency, when John can have a schedule that's more his own! Right now, (and for the next 3 months), he works late at least 3 days a week. He leaves every morning before the rest of us are up, and then won't be home until after kids are in bed on all his late days so probably won't even see them. And he'll be at a conference in Florida for a week, and in D.C. for 4 days, and a few other work-related things on Saturdays. He'll have to miss all but about 3 of Olivia's t-ball games. ): This should be fun getting ready to move. But, we're almost there! Residency doesn't last forever afterall. (And it hasn't all been as bad as this rotation).

Tammy - I'm still trying to make it - somehow!

5 comments:

Michelle Price said...

Oh, come on. We'll do a walk-a-thon around oaklawn park and let Olivia roll down the hill (which is the only good part about t-ball anyway). I keep finding out about more and more things we are missing over the weekend too, but we're still going. It would be fun if you can find a way! I'm sure you are so ready for John to be done. I hope his "real life" schedule is lots easier to deal with!

WendyJ said...

That is a tough call. Maybe you could see if another mom wants to join you (with only 1 kid) and you could split the driving and maybe be gone less time????

Good luck. The end is in sight, and I'm a bit jealous.

Cailean said...

Don't worry about Olivia missing school! We took Elizabeth out for an entire week before Spring Break to go to California. I wish I could help you somehow! It will all work out :)

Tammy said...

I'll probably forgive you someday if you can't find a way to make it work. But it would be so much fun to have you here. Plus I had to sit through your boring graduation :)

abby o said...

Well here's a little glimpse into my selfish soul: I say seize the day. Stop every couple hours at the redbox to keep things fresh for the kids and do t-ball again next year. (I haven't yet gained a testimony of public school or organized sports for kids, so please feel free to disregard my 2 cents.)