Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ready or not, school's a coming

So Olivia will be going to school in just a little over a month. We bought a backpack and a few other school things today. And I just don't want to let her go! I really think I'm going to have a hard time on that first day of school (okay, I know I am - it makes me sad already). I'm excited for her, too, but its such a huge marker of growing up. She won't always be my little girl who wants to wear the same white skirt every day and never get her hair done. She won't always want me to hold her when she's sad, have pink kitty parties, make such cute crayon drawings, play endless make-believe games with her brother, and wave to me every time she kicks the ball at soccer practice, and be sad after being at a friend's house for an afternoon because she "didn't get to play with Mom and Katelyn very much today."
I feel like she can't "get big" until I've learned how to be the best mom for her and had more moments of just playing and enjoying the moments instead of thinking of what other things I still need to get done, and developed more patience for her strong-willed self. (Okay, I know she's just starting school, I'm not losing her forever), but really, what is so great about full-day kindergarten?
We're planning on starting with half-day option (at her school you can switch to full-day anytime), but she's already saying she wants to do full day - I think she heard me talking about all the fun things they do in the afternoon.
I'll just miss having her around all the time and the fun that she brings (and I know her best friend Jackson will,too). I told John how I'm sad she can't stay little just how she is, and he said, "Yeah, but she'll always be Olivia." That helped - anyone else have any words of wisdom? (Maybe going to bed so my lack of sleep doesn't make me write sappy blog posts . . .)

10 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Nice post. You expressed many of the feelings that I had as my children went to school, and each year after. Lots of moms just couldn't wait for school to start. I wanted them to stay home. Should have home schooled!

Laura and crew said...

Amen, sister! All I can say is that before the big "K" happens at our house, I'm planning on skipping all the stuff I should be doing and playing lots of barbies. I don't think it will make those feelings go away, but I'm hoping it helps.

Darin and Kerri Elam said...

Okay, so now I'm sitting here crying. I'll blame it on hormones. After a terrible Madison morning (she was threatening to poke Wyatt in the head with a screw, then got really mad when she got punished for it), I was really wanting to send her back to school. But I have loved having her home all summer again after we got used to having her gone during the day last year. I love the lazy mornings and late nights. I love having all of my kids here where I always know what they are doing (for better or worse!). And I love seeing and hearing her play with Wyatt and love Levi.

Cailean said...

Ahhhh!!!! Your post needed some kind of disclaimer to not read it unless you're ready to get sad. So you know how sad I was that first day. That evening I started thinking more rationally (after lots of tears and thinking I was going to die from the sadness!) and realized she was growing up whether I liked it or not and I couldn't do anything about it, and how we are on this earth to progress. As much as I wanted her to stay at home with me forever, it wasn't what was best for her. And it doesn't get easier - each day off or week off from school, it's like saying goodbye all over again. I also wondered if I had done enough to prepare her for the world. I will tell you that after the initial adjustment, it's a positive change for all. Jackson will seem older and will grow up a little without his older sister dominating their playtime and you'll change as a mom too. It's soooooo hard though. The quotation that sums it up the best, I think, is how when you become a parent you decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. My best advice is to get really involved in her classroom and her school - volunteer, get to know the parents and the other kids. And if she's happy on that first day you'll feel better. Elizabeth was sad and it was that much harder for us. And it's really just that first day that's the hardest. Plan something really fun for that day for yourself to keep your mind off of it!!!

heathermommy said...

Lar Lar,

You know my words of wisdom: Homeschool!! Okay, I know it is not for everyone. I guess my advice is just really cherish the time you have with her. Keep making family time a priority and you will have a good relationship with all your kids.

It is hard when our kids grow up. But it is good too.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I agree. You needed to send a Kleenex warning with that one. It sure brought back some memories for me too...even though my experience with such things was many years ago. I still haven't recovered from when you went to school for the first time and now you're sending your little girl off!
Love you...and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
Mom

Michelle Price said...

Wow. At least you have a month--Ethan starts Monday! We went to his open house yesterday, and it actually helped to relieve a lot of my fears. I think I have been imagining that I am sending him off to 5th grade or something, where he will be lost on his way to the bathroom and will be beat up by the big kids at recess. They actually have his school set up so the kindergarten kids stay seperate from the big kids. I think they will let him stay little for a little longer! It will be lonely around here though. I don't know if Colby even knows how to play by himself. I guess I need another one.

SJ said...

Hi Lar lar!
I love your blog and Anna is starting soon too. Same feelings, you expressed so well. We only have half day, and I am glad for that. I hope the best for her and you! GOod luck
(SJR GEckler)

The Copes said...

We had completley made up our minds not to start Reid, since his birthday in right on the cut off. But I took him in for testing today, and they said that It would be silly not to.
So now I have to get my head around it, and I'm panicked. I feel like it's the night before they're going to induce me for labor. I don't know why I'm so nervous, but I think it's for the best. At least It's only half-day, and another bright spot is that he and Olivia will be in the same class. So if he can't get a date for the Junior prom, we'll ship her in.

Mindy said...

I don't know how you deal with this...I just feel like crying now. Just seems like once they are in school every year flies by.