Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Jackson's Party

I'm not really sure where Jackson came up with the idea for a penguin party, but that's what he said he each time I asked him (I had to keep checking to see if he'd change his mind).

Yeah, this happened a few weeks ago - there is a reason I didn't post it earlier (just waiting on pictures from someone else's camera). But I say I don't need a reason to not post right after things happen, since I normally don't anyway.
To make the party penguin-ish, the plan was to swim in cold water, slide on ice, carry an "egg" (rock) on their feet for a race, eat penguin cupcakes, and then they got a couple penguin party favors to take home. Just in case you're looking, there aren't a lot of penguin party favors out there.

It looked like rain was coming, so we didn't put their swimsuits on. I told them they could get their feet wet. They got their clothes wet, too. Sorry party parents.
I can totally understand why Olivia and J. have their skirts pulled all the way up at this point. Grown-ups never get to do anything.

Here's the sliding on ice part. No one else there had done this before. I guess if you have snow to sled on, you don't need ice blocking, but I remember some fun ice blocking YM/YW nights in AZ. Going pretty fast, crashing into each other at the bottom, going back for more . . .
This time, we were trying to push kids down on the ice, while trying to keep them from falling off. That kind of hurts your back. A little more with each kid in line, in fact.
John didn't believe me that it really works, and I couldn't even give a good demonstration because I wasn't wearing very good ice-blocking clothes. Otherwise, you'd see me flying down this hill, of course. Ice in Arizona must be more slippery.


Jackson does have a penguin stuffed animal that he likes, but he hadn't ever talked about penguins before he said he wanted this party. So his penguin is my party decorations. I also tried to get black & white balloons, but the "black" balloons blew up purple and the floral guy couldn't find anything else.
Penguins cupcakes - or maybe baby owls? Familyfun.com does it again.

Sadly, this is one of the best pictures I have of Jackson from the party. He doesn't like the camera, but he did have some smiles on his birthday, really.

10 comments:

Belkycita said...

So Cool!!!
We did ice blocking for our FR and it was a blast!
I love the Penguin idea,although it looks very cold!!

Unknown said...

The cupcakes are so cute!!! Too bed Kerri doesn't live closer. She has tons of penguins!

Unknown said...

OOPS - I meant too BAD...

abby o said...

wow, well done larissa. We couldn't ever decide on a theme for the boys' party this year so we had a spiderman bounce house, a pirate pinata, and some star wars decorations. I'm officially inspired though, I'll do better next year. or at least I aspire to.

p.s. last time I tried ice blocking it didn't work either! Is it global warming or the mass delusion of youth? I swear it used to be really fun...

Cailean said...

Such a nice mom to do the theme he wanted! It was a fun time with lots of great memories!

Larissa said...

Abby, don't be impressed. It was a really easy party, I didn't do much. I had already thought doing the party at that beach park close by us sounded easier than doing it at our house, and then it just happened to go along with the party he wanted. I pretty much just had to make some cupcakes and get everyone there. A spiderman bounce house, pirate pinata, and star wars sounds like a dream come true for Jackson.

Anonymous said...

for cute
- james

Michelle Price said...

Wish we could have been there! Looks like fun. Happy Birthday to Jackson!

Keri said...

Cute Party! Way to use your creative juices. Note: The last time I really went iceblocking (not as a Youth Leader) I ended up in the emergency room with bruised kidneys. Talk about back pain. That's what I get for trying to show off and impress my date. Also, the house is still available...I'll do my best to find John a job.

Nathan and Raya said...

Very cute!
That was some creative thinking for those activities!!!
All I have to say is thank heavens for Google! I get tons of ideas from Google.