Saturday, December 6, 2008

My Thanksgiving "Moment"


Turkey project by me and Olivia. (She said she wanted me to make a turkey with her, but I couldn't help her, I had to make my own. Mine's just the same ol', same ol'. She had something different in mind).

We drove down to Portland to have Thanksgiving with John's family. In our van, it's much easier to travel with kids because I can go back and try to keep them entertained on a long ride. During the drive, I went back to sit by Katelyn and give her Cheerios. Olivia was singing Primary songs and Jackson was sleeping.
These are some of the words to the song she was singing:
"He is always near me, though I cannot see him there.
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care."

There's so much about those words and that song to be thankful for. Knowing He does love her dearly, and me dearly also. I'm so thankful that my kids can know that He loves and watches over them, that we have the knowledge of the gospel, that we can teach these things to our children, and for Primary and Primary songs that help them to learn of Him and feel Him near as they sing.
I also thought of how thankful I am for all those people surrounding me in the car.
I could here Jackson's soft snoring behind me, Olivia singing in her best 5-yr-old voice next to him, Katelyn next to me trying to eat her toes and babbling "ma-ma-ma-ma," and my best friend, best husband, and partner-through-it-all up in the driver's seat.
So much to be thankful for.
(That same attitude of gratitute wasn't as present late that night trying to get 3 kids to sleep away from their own beds, but that's another story . . . )

6 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Primary songs have such good messages. Ones that even us older folks need to be reminded of.
I saw the Christmas idea in the Friend. It is a great idea. Hope you have a wonderful experience.

Cailean said...

What a special moment indeed! I think those times really make up for the CRAZY ones where everyone is fighting and whining. I love the turkeys. Yours is PERFECT! Good job.

abby o said...

did I tell you I am in primary now?!? Yesterday for sharing time I did a little bit of Christmas story trivia and I was so surprised how many of those little kids knew all about the flight into egypt, and what the angels said to the shephards etc. The other counselor told me they did a similar Christmas trivia quiz and work and not a single person knew WHY joseph and mary went to bethlehem in the first place...to be taxed...and it made me SO grateful for the gospel...we really start 'em young, eh?

Michelle Price said...

Olivia made tha fanciest turkey I've ever seen. Sorry yours is so plain. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I think your family is one to be thankful for too!

Mandie said...

You got a van huh? Do you love it?

Carmen/Alan said...

Hi Larissa,

Hey what is your address again? We lost a bunch of address.