Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Fabulous Day!

The last day of residency. Done! Yesterday was the long-awaited day.
I took the kids to visit him at work (as a surprise) with some chocolate and cards they made.

They got some cool sunglasses in return. (And took some of his chocolate back for themselves).

We were all ready for this day, even though it was hard to believe it really would come! We haven't seen much of him the last few months. Whenever John got paged to go to the hospital, the kids called it "going to the monster." I grew immune to him not being home before bedtime. When he'd tell me it might be a late night, I'd just say, "that's what I'm planning on." It was easier that way, since that's how it usually was lately. When talking to Katelyn about who lives at our house, she named everyone except Dad. When I asked if he lives here, too, she said, "No, work."
I've probably complained about it on here before. But to anyone who has a husband going into residency, it's not all so bad. All the rotations haven't been as bad as this last one, and there is life outside of work. Sometimes. (:
I found a card among the things he brought home yesterday. He didn't want me to put it on here, but I'll just put some of it. It's from the daughter of a patient he operated on, thanking him for "a miracle for my family. She went from blind to clearly seeing. She is safer in her home. She can see the joy and wonder of her grandsons growing up . . . . " And she even says at the end, "thank you to your family for thier support of your work and training."

I think it's pretty awesome. In the end, it's all been worth it! I'm just glad we don't have to do it again.

8 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Congrats on your families FABULOUS DAY! Wishing you the best in your next step along the path of life.

Sara said...

Congratulations! This was a big hurdle....you all made it a little stronger.
Your kids are going to have a blast with John around all the time....you will too (it is an adjustment though).
Can't wait to hear about the move!

Emma said...

Yay!!! Doesn't it feel great to be done? Good luck with your move! We miss you already.

Laura and crew said...

Congratulations! I think you have done an amazing job of making everything balance over the past years. You're a major inspiration to me...and my kids think you're amazing, too! We'll miss you!

Karen said...

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing about the card - it is nice to see people who are grateful.

Enjoy your next adventure.

Cailean said...

Wow, what a lot of sacrifices you have all made and I know you will be blessed for it - what a great example to your children too. Your family will be SO missed, I can't even think about it! :(

Keri said...

Oh, I remember when Matt finished dental school and the wave of relief that flooded our home in the ghetto (is that spelled right?). A big CONGRATULATIONS to John and your family for surviving. It is quite an accomplishement!

Dennis and Amber Ogilvie said...

AWESOME! Congratulations to your whole family for passing such a milestone in life. Good luck in your next transition.