Sunday, January 9, 2011

Arm Update


If you look at the last picture I put on here of Olivia in her sling, you can see some differences in this picture. The bright blue cats-and-dogs sling has been recovered, with some corduroy fabric she chose out of mom's pile. And she has a smile on her face!
I actually covered the sling the night after I did the last post, so she could feel more ready to face her peers. My sister Tammy just showed me how to make fabric flower, so (I'm a little embarrassed to admit) her sling is even "embellished." She still didn't want to go in to school, but I walked in with her (she had a jacket covering all the evidence of the break), and stayed for a few minutes while she told the whole class the story of what happened. They all wanted to hear, so the teacher had her go to the front so she could tell all at once. While she was gone, they had all guessed how she broke her arm - falling on the wood floor wasn't as exciting as what they had come up with. They all had more questions and told her they were glad she was back. Then the teacher asked who wanted to help Olivia out that day. All hands shot up. She was happy to be there.
She didn't like having to try to write with her left hand all day, but she's getting better at it.

And this was made after John told her, "Maybe Mom could make a sling for your doll, too, so you could still be matching." The doll just won't cooperate in keeping her arm at her chest.

We have to go back in on Wednesday to make sure the bones haven't shifted and are healing correctly, but so far she's doing well!

6 comments:

Laura and crew said...

If I were a kid I would MUCH prefer the cute sling with hearts to the cat and dog. Good fix, supermom!

Cailean said...

Soooooooooo happy to see a smiling face! With an awesome mom like you, I'm not surprised you made everything better! :)

WendyJ said...

Hooray! I hope she has a speedy recovery. So good to see her smile. Rebecca asked me yesterday when little Katelyn and Jackson would be coming back. I was so sad to tell her that you weren't coming back. Her face was so sad and she just burst into tears.

Carolyn Hanson said...

Wow, Larissa! What a bummer that Olivia broke her arm AND was so sick so many times (not to mention the rest of you). I'm sorry! Your cast sling is SO adorable, though! I'm super impressed.

Tammy said...

Way to go on the flower. I think that an embellished sling is the only way to go.

Michelle Price said...

I had to come back and find this to see how you did it. That sling looks much easier to modify than Colby's. Hopefully I can figure something out, because he is not so excited about the teddy bear one.