Friday, October 16, 2009

Preschool, sports class, only mom to play with

Here's Jackson on the first day of preschool. He didn't want a picture, he wanted to get to preschool. He's closing his eyes, but still saying cheese for me. He made sure to wear his favorite shirt. It's faded and old, but it's his kung fu tiger shirt, and so, favorite.


He is also taking a beginner sports class. (Actually "Lil' Tweeker Sports" is the name, but I don't always like to say that). So far they've done track, t-ball, and bike rodeo. Here's Jackson in the lead. Did I crop another kid out of this picture to make it look like he's in the lead? No. (That was another picture I did that to). Did he cut a couple cones to get into the lead? Maybe.
Every day, Jackson and I have about 3 hours together while Katelyn sleeps and Olivia's at school. He wants to play "talking cars" about every day, but I have a hard time getting into that for long. Or he gets his "guys" and gives me my "guys" and says it's time to start the game. I'm supposed to make them talk, but apparently I'm not too good at that either. "Mom, that guy's actually not funny." Every day he tells me has a really good surprise to tell me: "It's _______'s real birthday party today!" (a different stuffed animal each time). Today it was duckie's real birthday party. So he got a gift bag and my job was to help pick some of his toys to be the presents. As I find some, he says "Ducky doesn't like that toy. Or that one. Or that one."
Anyone have some more ideas on what to do together when you don't have the imagination of a four-year-old? (This doesn't make me sound very fun - he does like to play with me - sometimes).

6 comments:

Cailean said...

I love his first day picture! It tells a story. Your days sound so similar to mine! I would also love to know how to keep a 4-year-old boy as excited with life as he is when his sisters are home. Elijah's extra energy spills out and he is constantly attacking Lucy and me with his body in violent somersaults! Tell me I'm not the only one, please!!?!?! Jackson is super-fast, it's true!!!! So sad we missed the bike rodeo. I would have loved to see how that even works!

abby o said...

Yeah, bring him over here to play with Henry so I can stop playing castle! (at which I can do nothing right by the way, I'm always guarding the wrong entrance with the wrong "guy"). Henry will finally read with me so that's our best time, that and (hate to admit it) playing Mario Kart together.

Carolyn Hanson said...

I'm in the same boat with you on this one. I like Abby's idea:bring the boys over and we'll play together! If only, huh?

Ricki said...

Nice. Levi already thinks I'm pretty boring, can't wait till his imagination completely outgrows mine (if it hasn't already). Maybe if you hire friends to come over? I'm thinking of calling an agency myself.

Colette and The Chickenwings said...

This sounds soooooo familiar! I know Ashlee gets frustrated with me when I won't sing "Happy Birthday" every day for "someone" else. I have no good suggestions...I'm sort of waiting for the phase where we can find common interests more easily. Am I waiting for something that will never happen? We sure had fun with John this weekend!

Dennis and Amber Ogilvie said...

Wow can't believe Jackson's in preschool and Olivia first grade! Cute family!